Paul Gallen (11-1-1, 6 KOs) has signed a new three-fight boxing contract, revealing the next stage of his career on Tuesday night.
Speaking on WWOS radio on 2GB, Gallen said he has “locked in three” bouts over the next 18 months, with one likely to take place this year and the others the following year.
Gallen had been advised to retire after his TKO loss to Australian heavyweight champion Justis Huni in June but he is far from finished.
Watch Franco vs Moloney III live on Main Event, available on Foxtel and Kayo on Sunday 15 August at 12pm AEST. ORDER NOW >
The Cronulla Sharks great though revealed all three bouts will be against rugby league players.
“All the footy players want to fight me, they think they can beat me,” he said.
“So I thought, ‘Yeah, I’ll fight them.’
“I don’t know who against. I did sign a contract.
“I’ll fight footy players, not again against the best fighter Australia has seen.”
Gallen had in July hinted he would look to fight footy players first before turning his attention to professional boxers and MMA fighters afterwards.
“I will get in the ring again,” Gallen told 2GB radio at the time.
“The offers that have come to me over the past three weeks have been unbelievable from that [Huni] fight.
“It’s like my stocks have gone up. I can’t imagine what would have happened had I won that fight.
“My stocks have gone up because of the effort I put into it and the fight itself.
“I have the option to do both, but first of all, it will be football players to start with and then after that, I will go back to boxers and MMA-type of people.
“There will be rugby league players to start with and then we will look at boxers and MMA fighters after that.”